So by this point I am sure that you all know I went to America. I have been back for several weeks now, but I had such an amazing time and so over the next few months I am going to be doing a fare few posts related to America and my travel plans in general. Today I thought I would share with you the pros and cons of New York City.
I am going to start by saying that it was amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I don’t live in a city, so it was quite full on, but there were so many amazing things to see and the sheer size of the buildings was spectacular. I am going to start by giving you a run down of the things I did while I was away.
I went to see:
- The Empire State Building
- The Brooklyn Bridge
- The Public Library
- Grand Central Station
- Stature of Liberty
- 9/11 Memorial
- Central Park
- 77th Street Flea Market
- Natural History Museum
These were the major things that I did in NYC. I was thinking of doing a post on places to eat in New York or maybe just the USA in general because their food and restaurants are quite different to those in the UK. Let me know if you would like me to do that and I will start planning it! Now I am going to tell you about the Pros and Cons of NYC:
Pros of NYC:
- There is always a Starbucks – Food was a bit of an issue in NYC for a while because we didn’t know any good places to eat and I am very fussy. Starbucks saved the day though and when I say they are everywhere I mean they are EVERYWHERE! You never have to walk more than a block to find one.
- Amazing Sights – New York is very popular with tourists and I now fully understand why. It is a truly beautiful city and the views from places like the empire state building are spectacular.
- New York Public Library – I can’t write a post without including the Library. It is the most wonderful library I have ever been in. It is truly a sight to behold for the bookworms out there and I was practically jumping up and down in excitement.
- Central Park – This is a little piece of paradise in the middle of a busy city. It is like walking through a portal to another dimension
- Culture – New York is a very vibrant place and is full of lots of different cultures and foods. I really enjoyed the 77th street flee market because, not only did I find some amazing things, I also enjoyed seeing people from different cultures sharing their traditions.
- Shopping -You cannot go to New York and not go shopping. I did a lot of this a probably spent too much money, but there is nothing we can do now is there? 5th avenue is amazing and Bloomingdales was nice to look in even if it is way out of my price range.
Cons of NYC:
- VERY busy! – New York is the most crowded place I have ever been in and as someone who really struggles with a lot of people present walking through the streets of New York (especially at rush hour) was not my favourite part.
- Cars – As you can probably guess, there were a hell of a lot of cars in New York. The roads were constantly busy and the cars were always honking their horns for no apparent reason. I am also not a fan of loud noises and especially when they are unexpected, so this was really quite annoying.
- Metro – I wasn’t really sure which list to put this on because while it was cool using the same transport system that so many of my favourite book characters have used, it was not the cleanest place I have ever been. It is also my personal opinion that it is not amazingly organised either, but then I am very picky, so maybe that is juts me.
As you can see from the list there are many more Pros than Cons and I can assure that I thoroughly enjoyed my trip. It was stressful at points, but going to a major metropolis for the first time usually is. I am planning to go back in the future for definite and spend some more time exploring the city. It probably won’t be in the near future, but it will happen.
This was the first major trip I have been on with my family and it is completely unforgettable. I will keep you up to date with all of travel plans and where my adventures are going to take me next. I hope that you will enjoy following me around and I will see you all again soon! have any of you been to New York? What are your travel plans for the future?
Goodbye for now!
Over and Out